Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Weekend in St. George

This weekend, I did something that I have never done. At least, I can't think of a time that I have ever done it. I ran away for the weekend with a group of friends on a little road trip down to St. George. And by group of friends, I mean, I knew one person going and I became friends with the others along the way. Had this opportunity come up 5 or so years ago, I probably wouldn't have gone because I did not know anyone that was going. Thank goodness we can all change! I had a blast down there with all of them.

While we were there, there was a half Ironman going on. It's pretty cool to see so many people fight their way through this race which really pushes the limits of the human body, and it was only half of the real race! Human body is capable of amazing things and this just proved that to me again.



We would cheer on random people and see them put a little more power into their stride and push harder knowing that someone was behind them. We even saw a crazy man running the race in a fireman's uniform. He was nuts! And it definitely wasn't cold outside.


We walked along the route checking out the things that downtown St. George had to offer. There were tons of vintage shops and an awesome retro candy shop. I'm pretty sure they had some candy straight from the 60's. Harder than a rock, but very, very cheap. All soda was in glass bottles and the candy was spread out in glass jars.


The vintage shops just had lots of random things. They made for some artsy-ish opportunities.



As we were walking along, I saw a cool building that I decided to take a picture of. As I looked at it more, the clouds above it were different colors. Rainbow clouds! I've never seen this before. 


I don't know how that works, but it was one of the coolest things that I saw that day.


I love meeting new people and sometimes I forget that. I don't know why exactly. I just get so caught up in my routine and going about life as usual that I never branch out. I'm really glad that I could make some new friends. We had some good times.




We later went to a park which had this amazing view.


It was so perfect that I could resist getting a picture of it. The St. George temple just looks so stunning, especially with the red sand and rock surrounding it (you can't see any red rock here, but just imagine it! It's beautiful). It was just the perfect time to be down there. Flowers were in full bloom. The weather was gorgeous. Triathlon excitement. Good company.


Now, the main reason that got me down to St. George was a man with a really long mustache. He is one pretty cool dude.


Actually, he just had a funny mustache and I tried to get a picture of him. It took forever for him to turn around. It wasn't until they asked all of the veterans to stand that I finally got him. Protecting our country, one rocking mustache at a time.

The real reason was this man.


Brian Regan. He was performing over in Tuacahn and he definitely did not disappoint. It was the perfect end to a weekend. Lots of hard laughter. It cleared the soul and removed all stress and worry. The best medicine? Absolutely. I haven't found anything better.

1 comment:

Julia Parker said...

I LOVE this. It's so "Zach" and it makes me jealous of y'all in Uta-hr. Beautiful pictures!