Friday, May 14, 2010

My Newest Obsession

Yes, I have a new obsession. It used to be an interest a few years back, but quickly died because the price of this obsession was far more than I could ever afford. It all started when I saw my first racing bucket seat. Not just any bucket seat, but one that was made out of carbon fiber. There started my interest in it.

What is carbon fiber? Let me tell you as far as I know. Carbon fiber is a fabric that is woven from extremely thin strands of carbon atoms. These carbon atoms bond together and form these strands. I don't know how, but because of the way that they bond together, it gives the strands a high strength. When many are woven together, this creates a fabric or a sheet that is both very strong and extremely light weight. Random fact, a single strand of carbon fiber is about 5-8 micrometers in diameter. The average diameter of a human hair is about 80 micrometers. That's significantly smaller, yet it is much, much stronger. Pretty cool.

Of course, I don't have the money to purchase carbon fiber pieces and parts for my car, as the prices run high. Nor would I put anything carbon fiber in my car because it would seem out of place and would serve no real purpose. This all happened about 2 or 3 years ago. I quickly brushed away this thought because of the depression that occurred, knowing I had no money and my car was not up to carbon fiber standards.

Until...

I discovered carbon fiber film. This is vinyl that has the appearance of carbon without the cost of it. The best part about it, is that it is not just a print that looks like carbon fiber. It has an actual three-dimensional texture that reflects light the same way real carbon fiber does. So cool!

I quickly discovered that there were so many uses for this other than in a vehicle. Check it out.


That's right. My light switches in my room! Isn't that just so cool? I love it. What says manly more than a light switch that looks like it's made of carbon fiber? I'm still trying to think of other things that I can "carbon fiber," so if you have any ideas, let me know.

In addition to finding this awesome vinyl, I also found other household and common products that are made out of real carbon fiber. Check it out. There's some very fun and practical stuff there.

3 comments:

kwistin said...

It's legit! I saw the lightswitch!

And I think it's awesome that you have this fun little obsession, so long as it doesn't get out of hand. :)

I actually think it's really cool when you get excited about something, because then you go and research, and learn all you can about it. I love that you have a fountain of tons of random knowledge, which often comes in helpful. Carbon fiber, external hard drives, cameras, anything shiny and made by Apple..... ;)

deb said...

what a manly light switch.

Katie Kay said...

I touched the switch. its kinda cool.