Thursday, September 2, 2010

Barlow Endowment Day 3

I couldn't believe the last day arrived so quickly! On this final day, we all gathered together one last time to pick out our recipients of the general and lds commissions. The best part was that multiple winners could be chosen. That was also the worst part because we wanted them all to get something.

The process of elimination happened just like the day before for the prize. However, when we came down to a few, they were the recipients! No further weeding needed to happen. However, another factor was thrown into the equation. The Barlow Endowment only had so much money for these commissions. So, the judges began the process of 'who really deserves how much?'. It was interesting to see as some asking prices were left untouched and others were slashed significantly. By midday, the commissions were negotiated and everything calculated and was in harmony with what the Barlow was willing to award.

I had so much fun with this internship. It has been a remarkable opportunity for me. I learned so many valuable things in just 3 days and gained some new friendships. I'm all fired up to be a composer, especially after hearing what the winners were writing. I wanted to be one of them. I wanted to feel like I was being rewarded for my talent. Of course, I always feel rewarded by my talents, but it's also nice when the world recognizes these talents.

Sometimes, I think I'm crazy for pursuing a career in music. I wonder everyday about how I will support myself and my future family. One thing I do know is that I am definitely doing what I love. I have no regrets about doing it. There is nothing that a little hard work won't do for you. All of my hard work has been rewarded. If I do all I'm supposed to and put the rest into my Heavenly Father's hands, I know that He will take care of me. I love music. There is nothing that I would rather be doing.

1 comment:

kwistin said...

Zachary, I really loved reading this. As much as I loved reading (and hearing) about your internship, it was the last paragraph that really got me.

You're right; you are a hard worker. You are incredible at what you do, but not because you're lucky. It's because you earn it, and Heavenly Father blesses you for it. I'm really proud of you for pursuing your dreams, no matter the cost, and sticking to your guns. I love your work and it will only get better.

Now it's your first year of grad school and you're already on fire from this internship, the Park City gig, the horn thing this month, and your recent horn news. : ) What a great way to start out. Now, go get 'em!