Sunday, September 26, 2010

LDS composers' concert

I just recently performed this past weekend on the horn. I love performing. I love the rush that I get. I love having people listen to what I've prepared. I don't love, however, the anxiety and nervousness that comes from it. I could sure do without that.

A friend of mine provided me with the unique opportunity to be the featured horn player of this concert. He is from Australia, is a composer, and first heard me play my horn at my own composition recital in February 2010. He has created what is called the LDS Composers' Trust. He has started gathering music from composers of the LDS faith and has set up concerts to be performed of this music. The composers ranged anywhere from seasoned composers who have made a name for themselves to those just beginning and studying composition. Being handed the opportunity to play some of these pieces has been a joy for me.

There were two performances that happened on Sept. 23 and 24. I had a blast performing in each one. I played three pieces and each one was very different in style. 

The first was a piece that took me way out of my comfort zone. When I say way out there, I mean way, way, way, way, waaaaaaay out there. It not only required me to play, but to act, as well. I was to convince people that I was chewing gum before starting the piece. Then, I had to place the gum in mouth so that I could play with it in there. Half way through the piece, the gum gets stuck. Then begins the long process of getting the gum out. So, here I am on stage, blowing through my horn, hitting and banging it, twisting and turning it, trying to get it out, when finally, it comes out the end of the horn. I pick it up, replace it in my mouth and then finish the piece. Fun little piece. I think I pulled it off alright, considering all my acting skills.

The second was a piece by one of my professors, Christian Asplund. I loved this piece. It was aesthetically different than what most people are used to, but nonetheless, very, very beautiful. This turned out being the premiere of this work. It had been lined up to be played several times in the past, but never got performed due to many setbacks. I'd definitely play this piece again. It was hard but a lot of fun.

Then, the last piece was a funky version of a children's song. It was fast paced, exciting and overall, just a fun piece. It was only too bad that we didn't have as much rehearsal time as we wish we would have had. The performances went well and were well received by the audience.

I love music so much. I never thought that I could be involved with music for the rest of my life. For a long time, I always thought that I would have to move onto something else eventually. It was always a little sad to think about because of how much I love music. I hope that more opportunities keep coming my way so that music can continue to be the main part of my life.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Oh, Zachary! I am so glad you had this fantastic opportunity! I miss hearing/watching you perform. I bet you were Grrrrrreat!

I completely understand what you mean about music. I had a long conversation about the power of music last night, and several times while in NYC.

By the way, I want you to know that I took your advice and... well, I'm playing my flute regularly again. It's my first love; something I used to do religiously before my mother died. Playing it regularly again, for the first time in YEARS, has been so "liberating". I even decided to get waaaaaaaaaaaay outside of my comfort zone (as you write here) and join a little flute choir. I'm playing with extremely advanced students, but... hey.

The point is: I AM SO HAPPY YOU HAD THIS OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY YOUR HORN! Good for you! You have such incredible talent, and I'm proud of you. :) I can't believe it's been almost six months since I heard/saw you perform. But, know that I'm constantly cheering for you, good friend.