Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Man Files

I was enjoying my day just doing the same things I normally do each day. I composed a little music, played my horn, went to rehearsals and even went to a class. I did this for the entire month of September. I had gotten into my groove and was pretty comfortable where I was. 

However, as September turned to October, I realized that something was different. I tried to place my finger on it but could never figure it out. As I was driving up to campus to do some homework in the library, it suddenly dawned on me. "Umm... you could get in a lot of trouble. Your car registration has expired."

Oh no! How could I let this happen? I had all of September to get my safety and emissions done and renew my registration. How embarrassing. 

Without any delay, I canned the library idea and set off for the nearest mechanics shop. I took it in and they said it would be 45 minutes. "That's not too bad," I thought to myself. Indeed, it took about 45 minutes, but again, I could sense that something was wrong. "What now?!" Everything on my car had passed except for the brakes. Dang it.

Without any delay, the mechanic began punching in all sorts of numbers into his computer. "If you want, we can fix them for you today. It will take about 3 hours." In my mind I was thinking, "I don't really care how long it takes. How much money are you going to charge me?" I waited for an answer... ... $450. Wait, what? $450? I don't think so! I'll do it myself, thank you.

So, I stormed out of the mechanics shop with the determination to change my own brakes. Problem: I've never changed brakes before. Spark plugs - yes. Oil - yes. Brakes - not a clue. But $450? I don't think so. I could figure this out to minimize the cost.

Cue call to dad. He's a smart guy and has changed brakes before. He went by the store to grab the brakes we needed and decided that we would get the job done on Saturday between LDS Conference sessions. 

I've never felt like such a man before. Getting dirty, using power tools and lifting jacks. You know. Man stuff. Check it out below.

(Dirty, greasy man hands!)

Overall, this was a great experience and I had a blast doing it with my dad. It was well spend, male bonding time (not to mention that we went out to eat after the priesthood session of conference. I've never eaten so much Indian food in my life. So good). 

2 comments:

Lex Hokanson said...

Brakes are fun to change! Was this on your Toyota or the Benz? I agree with you about the $450, it's ridiculous! Anyway, I read your post and was all happy for you until I read the last line. The one about eating indian food. Where did you go with your Dad? It's been tradition, most of the time, to go to Bombay house after the Priesthood session. Except this time we didn't and I was kinda sad. So when you said you had eaten indian I got all incensed that you had and I hadn't. I'll get over it. I'm happy that you had a good time and got your car fixed!

kwistin said...

And I bet you did it all while riding a horse. Backwards.

YAH!

;)