Monday, February 13, 2012

Photo Journalism :: Protest

On Saturday, I was headed to the school to pick up my laptop which I had left in my locker. It was closing in an hour so I had to hurry fast. I was riding a strassenbahn, or streetcar, my new favorite mode of transportation around Vienna. It reminds me a lot of Russia when I would ride the trams. Then someone came on the PA system and said a whole bunch of stuff in German. I didn't understand a thing and just decided to go along and do whatever everyone around me did. As we were driving along, we got to a stop that was pretty close to where I needed to be when I saw a large mass of people marching down the street.


Obviously, I didn't even think twice about staying on the strassenbahn and jumped off immediately. Apparently, my route had been changed because of this protest. That's probably what they were saying on the intercom. These people were protesting Act 2, which is like the SOPA and PIPA acts in America for censorship of the internet and anti-piracy, but it's for Europe. It was quite the amazing adventure and I felt like a photo journalist. I was hoping for someone to burn something or for some kind of explosion somewhere, but that never happened. It was fun, nonetheless. I even got a few cries and yells in with the crowd, just to fit in a little better while I was taking pictures.

I never got my computer back that day and would have to wait until Monday. I didn't mind though.

Lots of people were wearing these masks from the movie V for Vendetta. I'm still not sure what that actually had to do with the protest, but, hey, they have some masks so I'll let them have their fun.

There were lots of signs and probably a lot of people that had no idea what they were actually protesting. Kind of like occupy Wallstreet. Just something for people to do. Heck, it even gave me something to do.

Best sign of the day.

Everyone is headed to the Parliament. Maybe someone in charge all of the internet in Europe will hear their cries.


My favorite shot on the day.

There was surprisingly quite a few people at this protest.

Even Mr. Sexy Dreadlocks with a sign half in English, half in German showed up.

They didn't know how to put there masks on.

The man himself giving his most convincing speech ever.

The beautiful neoclassical Parliament. Perfect meeting point for a protest.

1 comment:

kwistin said...

favorite: the best sign of the day.

#2: mr. sexy dreadlock man.

#3: glad you let them have their fun. i could just see it now: "um, excuse me. hi. i'm a fake photojournalist, so i'm gonna need you to turn your masks around and wear them properly, and explain to me why you're wearing them, so that you won't look like a moron in my photos. ok? okay thanks."

:)

#3b: speaking of masks, um.... THIS.

(ps, can we get a picture of the streetcar? that sounded cool but i have no idea what to imagine in my mind.)