Sunday, February 5, 2012

Talent Show

Welcome to the vicarious experience of the Vienna Young Adult Talent Show! I'll be with you guiding you through the amazing events of February 4, forgetting names and all other sorts of important details. Let's begin, shall we!


Meet Rebecca and Keily. They performed Adele's Someone Like You. Rebecca's English is awesome when you talk to her and when she sings, you would never know that she was Austrian! And Kiely nailed that piano part. 

Look at that concentration! It's no wonder she nailed every note on that page.


Meet girl and boy. :) Don't worry friends. I didn't forget everyone's name. Just these two. And maybe a few more to come... We'll see. I should really just find out their names. This post will be so boring without them.

Ok. Take two. Meet Tasia and Arnold, aka. Arnie. Tasia hails from Idaho but speaks perfect German (so jealous!). She also sings quite lovely. Arnie is going to law school but also plays the piano. He also sang this time around, which he said was not his best talent. They sang a duet from the movie Tangled  and then The Prayer (the one made famous by Josh Groban).

:: Sidenote :: Check this out regarding Josh Groban.


Meet Julia and Michelle. Julia plays the violin and Michelle plays the piano. They played fantastic piece. It was called the Israeli Concerto by George Perlman (Don't ask me how I remembered that because I didn't. I just asked my group. They are smart).

Yes. That is how it's done. Beautiful.

Then we had an improvisation, or rather, a comprivisation. 


Meet Peter. He's from Bratislava. He just sat down and made up a piece. Low notes. High notes. Pedal point. Everything needed for a successful composition.


Meet the best looking man in Vienna (other me: subtle Zach. me: Thanks. Humility and modesty are high on my list. other me: right). I played Fantasy for Horn by Malcom Arnold. At least my horn was shiny. That distracted everyone from the mistakes.


Meet Teancum. He solved that Rubik's cube in 1 min 7 sec. Before his mission, he could do it in about 20 sec. Amazing. I have never conquered the cube. Bucket list.


Meet Aly. She plays... the... cello? Umm... I did not know that. Wait! Look below! Quick!!!


Meet Aly and Christina. That's better. Aly is on piano and Christina is on Cello. They brought to us an amazing piece of American musical culture. From the west coast in California to the U.K... (wait... that's not in America) they played a mash up of pop tunes from Katy Perry to Coldplay. Thank you America!


Meet David and Raphael. David was easy to remember. So was Raphael. All I needed to do was think of the Ninja Turtles. They performed a hilarious skit using solely sound effects. They rode horses (above ground and under water), flew off cliffs, had a showdown with guns... need I say more?



Meet Liberty. Or should I say LiB3RTy (looks like one of those verification words). He laid down some tracks that he composed and rapped his heart out about the church and love, two staples of the rap world. He even had us put our hands in the air. And we did.


Meet the Three Amigos. I have absolutely no idea what their names are and I am now too lazy to find out. They performed a skit all in German. Do I know what was going on? Nope. But I laughed at appropriate times when everyone else was laughing. All I understood was the amigo on the right repeatedly said, "Ich bin soooo schön" (I'm soooo beautiful).

I hope you enjoyed your vicarious talent show! 

1 comment:

kwistin said...

i really quite enjoyed this. and honestly, none of us are in vienna, so if you wouldn't have specified, we'd have no idea that "boy" and "girl" aren't actually their names.

that's quite a bit of talent all in one place.