Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Wiener Philharmoniker

It begins with a slow introduction, very calm and subdued. Then a wave of an arpeggio comes sweeping by, shortly followed by another. Suddenly, many more waves come flying in, colliding together and sweeping me away into a wonderful sea of harmony taking me far beyond my emotional threshold. For the next few minutes, I was being tossed from wave to wave, each one so gentle and pure. The experience was unlike anything I had experienced in music.

This is a well as I can describe what happened to me while listening to the Vienna Philharmonic's rehearsal of Wagner's Der Ring ohne Worte (The Ring Without Words). I was captivated for the next hour and fifteen or so minutes, never realizing that time was even passing by. In the simplest terms, it changed my life. Above was just one taste of many amazing things that I experienced in my two hours there. It was incredible.

This afternoon, I attended their performance of Sibelius' Symphony no. 7, Symphony no. 5 and Symphony no. 1, in that order. It was, of course, amazing! This group has such amazing musicianship and perfect mastery over their instruments. The music they create is out of this world!

I don't know what else to say. Really, I have tons to say but I have no idea how to put it into words.

I had a taste of heaven.

I want more.

After the Sibelius concert

1 comment:

Chip said...

This sounds like it was an amazing concert! How great that you are getting all these opportunities. How strange that this orchestra is still so dominated by men? I thought that European tradition had already passed.