Thursday, October 27, 2011

blinchiki (блинчики)

It has been a while since I was serving in Russia. It has been over 5 years, if we really want to know how long it has been. I really miss that place and I especially miss all of the people that I came to know and love over those two years that I was there. So, as a nostalgic homage to Russia, I decided to make some blinchiki, or pancakes. They are kind of like crepes and they are so stinking delicious. I ate way too many of them (mainly because I made too many of them).



Making them reminded me of the very first time I was taught how to make them. My companion and I were at a member's home for family home evening on a Monday evening. It was at Nina Miller's (Нина Миллер) apartment and a bunch of other members were there, too. The thing I remember most was Maria Stepanovna (Мария Степановна) thrusting me into the role of cooking them. She showed me how to do it first and she did it so fast that I still had no idea what to do. She took me through the process a few times and before I knew it, I was flipping the pancakes left and right (I caught all of them. Didn't drop a single one). We must have made a hundred or so of them that night. Way too many for the crowd we had, but we just kept dishing them out anyway. Those were some good times. O, how I miss Russia...

2 comments:

Lex Hokanson said...

Blini (that's what our translator called 'em) are so yum! I loved the "Email" one at Teremok. They were so delicious! I also love the nutella banana version. sigh

Karen Reid said...

Hey, Zach! I would love a recipe for those! Rich talks about them often.