Thursday, July 5, 2012

Tilapia Dish

I have been trying my hand lately at cooking fish. I got my hands on some tilapia and salmon. It is a little more difficult to handle and prepare than beef, chicken or turkey. It's so delicate. It needs to be cooked just right or the texture is weird or it's too dry or so many other things. It really likes to be handled with care. 

Tilapia is a white fish that is a lot like halibut. Halibut is one of my favorite fishes, but it is extremely expensive right now. Sad. After today's cooking adventure, I can say that I'm not as sad as I used to be. Tilapia is very delicious. Take for instance my baked parmesan tilapia with avocado. It turned out just splendid!



I have a couple of reasons for wanting to get more fish in my diet. Fish is very high in protein and this protein is very, very lean. It takes a long time for your body to break down this protein which leaves one feeling fuller, longer as well as boosting the metabolism to break down all of the protein. I have been kicking up the intensity of my workouts lately and need the protein to rebuild my muscles and help me recover faster so that I can continue to push harder as the week goes on.

Fish is also high in omega-3 fatty acids. This has several benefits. One is that it, too, helps to boost the metabolism. The greatest benefits of omega-3 is that it helps lower triglycerides, cholesterol and helps promote cardiovascular and heart health. 

I'm hoping to really cut and shred some stubborn fat and build some strong, lean muscle in the next two months. We'll see how effective fish will be in reaching this goal. It would make the "summer of the 6-pack" a huge success if it does what it is claimed to do. Despite what happens, it is delicious and I'm enjoying learning how to cook new things.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

This looks so good! I saw this a couple of days ago when I was checking out your blog. Remember how we were supposed to be gym buddies? Maybe we should be recipe buddies! I may never get that six pack, but a little healthy eating would go a long way :)