Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Goodnight, Budapest

I took some advice from a friend to see the city of Budapest at night. The only problem is that the night was far too short. It was beyond beautiful. I was completely captivated by these amazing scenes.

Fisherman's Bastian

Parliament

Chain Bridge and Imperial Palace/Buda Castle

Imperial Palace

 Chain Bridge

It was totally worth going here just to see this. Fortunately, I was there for two days and got to see a lot of other things during the day. Unfortunately, I only had one night, but was so happy to be able to capture these. If you have ever thought about going to Budapest, stop thinking and just go. You'll never regret it. Ever. 

An interesting thing about my experience in Budapest. As the train was arriving, we drove through a residential area, which I could have sworn was straight from Russia. The buildings, streets, cars, everything reminded me of Samara, Russia (Don't tell the Hungarians I said this. Apparently, they don't like Russians very much). It was nice to see that and have the flood of memories come back to me from my mission. I went into mission mode and just wanted to speak Russian with everyone. Interestingly, I ran into a few Russian speakers. One restaurant we went to was serving Russian food! Pirogi (Пироги)! They were delicious. And their hot chocolate is to die for. Not Russian, but absolutely amazing. Life changing, in fact. Also, randomly, a girl in our hostel spoke Russian. She is from St. Petersburg, but lived in Holland for 14 years and is now going to school in England. 

Chain Bridge and Parliament from Buda Castle

It amazes me that Budapest is only a few hours away by train from Vienna, yet their culture is completely different and the language isn't closely related. This week, I'm headed to Prague, which is also a new language and culture. Amazing how that works here in Europe. I really like it.

No comments: