Monday, March 5, 2012

Spring Break

This year marked the first time I have had a Spring Break in 9 years. I still can't figure out why BYU doesn't give us a Spring Break because it is the greatest thing ever. Here's just a little glimpse into what I did for Spring Break in Germany.

--Also, you can expect my blog to shift focuses from Vienna to Germany for the next little while. I did so much and it will take a lot of posts to cover.--

The first place in which we (Paige, Teancum and I) arrived was Salzburg. Technically, still in Austria, but not Vienna. We spent the evening there exploring a beautiful castle at the top of a hill. It was a perfect way to spend our Sunday evening and a great beginning to my Spring Break. 

View from the castle

The castle

In the morning, we made our journey to München (Munich). We explored the Deutches Museum, which was massively huge and spent the remainder of the evening wandering, exploring and finding whatever München had to offer.

View from top of Deutches Museum

Church at sunset

The next morning, we got up early and caught a train to Neuschwanstein Castle. There was another amazing castle in addition to the main attraction. The Neuschwanstein Castle is famous because it was used as a model for what we know as the Disney Castle. It was an amazing site to behold. The other castle was Hohenschwangau Castle.

Hohenschwangau Castle

Neuschwanstein Castle

We spend nearly the entire day up at those castles. The scenery was absolutely beautiful and it was really nice to see gigantic mountains in the background.

The next day, we headed to Ingolstadt. I was so excited. If you want to know how excited I was, just ask Paige or Teancum. I may have been a little too excited for this part of the trip. We went to Ingolstadt to see the Audi Factory and Museum. I love cars, especially Audis. The museum and tour of the production factory completely made my day. You'll definitely see a post about this.

At the Audi campus

The glorious museum

Our trip then took us to Frankfurt. This place was enormous, compared to where we had been. We went to the Frankfurt Temple and had a lovely time there with other members of the Church. We saw some amazing old church buildings, an airport protest and the city climbing into the clouds.

Must be in Europe. Graffiti. 

Clouds touching the tops of buildings

To top off the trip, we made our way to Berlin. All I can say is heaven on earth. I loved this city the most. It even beats out Ingolstadt, and that is a tough thing to do. This city had the X-factor for me. That was the Berlin Philharmonic. I saw them perform. It was beyond amazing.

Part of Berlin from atop a church

Beautiful night scene

2 comments:

Katie Kay said...

it'd be great to wake up to a place like this every morning

Julia Parker said...

Zach, I'm pretty sure the Audi factory made your year. And your pictures are beautiful! Makes me wish I had tagged along. =)