Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Wachau

The best part about doing a study abroad in Vienna is that I get to stay with the most amazing Viennese family ever. Not only are they awesome, but they also know of cool places outside of Vienna and they take us there on little excursions.

Sunday afternoon, we headed to a place called Wachau. There used to be a huge castle, Dürnstein Castle, that stood there. It is now mostly ruins as it was almost entirely destroyed by the Swedish Empire in the mid-17th century. This castle is where King Richard I "Lionheart" of England was held prisoner in 1192.

This has a large part in the Robin Hood legend that many of us heard as children. King Richard was captured during the Crusades. His brother John assumes the throne and taxes and terrorizes the people. Robin Hood comes in and steals from the rich to give to the poor and strongly opposes John and awaits the return of the good King Richard. Pretty cool stuff.

Now if I were to be imprisoned somewhere, Dürnstein Castle would be at the top of my list. I mean, look at this!


I know, right? This place was beautiful and it was an amazing day. This place was meant to have some legends attached to it.


No spot in the ruins is off limits. You can go anywhere and climb on anything you want. They have basically left it as it is with no safety railings or fenced off areas. The only thing they have is a small sign.


Down below the castle is a small town that is encompassed by the castle walls.


Thanks to my amazing host family for taking me and my roommate there. It was so much fun. They are such an adorable little family.


2 comments:

Katie Kay said...

You should just move there.

Julia Parker said...

You're a hard man to keep up with, Zach. Old news, right? ;)