Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Church

I finally visited a church I have been wanting to visit since I got to Vienna. The Church of the Most Holy Trinity. It was just as cool as I imagined it in my head. It is constructed entirely of slabs of concrete that are basically just stacked together in no apparent pattern. So cool. I just love it. All of the gaps and spaces between the blocks are covered with glass.






I really wanted to climb all over it. It was just asking me to do it. Fortunately, for them, they made the cement blocks way bigger than me and I couldn't get up there. 
This easily is one of my favorite churches in all of Vienna just because it is not like any of the other churches to which I have been. I could not stop thinking about how cool it would be if my church meeting house looked like this. This would just be fantastic! Even cooler, what if this was what my future home looked like. 

I like that idea much better...

*note to my future wife*
Can our house please look like this? Please? 
That's all I'll ever ask of you.
...and a kitchen with lots of carbon fiber.
That's all.
I'll still love you forever if you say no.


Best of all, I'd never have to get a calendar or wear a nasty watch. There's a built-in sundial and solar calendar right behind.


The pillar with the circle at the top is how you tell what month it is. When the sun is at its highest, at noon, it casts a shadow on the ground where there are several plates indicating what time of year/month it is. Pretty neat.


Yes, I was there exactly at 1:08pm. This thing really does work! It starts at 5:00 and goes to 19:00. 

No comments: