Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Volkswagen Scirocco

The new Volkswagen Scirocco. The hatchback that sticks out from all the rest. It's nimble, quick and sleek. Its smoldering grimace catches the eye of any passerby. It is the best small hatchback I have ever seen in my life.


Why am I so obsessed with the Scirocco? Maybe it's because I saw the diesel version reviewed on Top Gear, my favorite car show. Though that review was not in the positive for this wonderful little car, it was the diesel version. The gas (or petrol, as Europeans call it) version offers a lot more satisfaction. For one thing, it does not sound like a canal boat barreling down the road. Also, it's faster, more responsive and better sounding than its diesel friend. 


Another reason I'm obsessed with it is because no one has one. There are a few in Europe, but in America, we don't even know what this car is. Who knows anyone that has one of these? If you know someone, tell me. I'll buy it off of them. 


I'm actually not that big a fan of the hatchback. I've never actually understood the concept or appeal, but the Scirocco... The Scirocco has changed my mind. It makes the hatchback appealing and cool.

Not mention it's called a Scirocco. How cool of a name is that? Doesn't get much cooler than that. Except maybe the Lamborghini Aventador, but that's a whole different league of car.




Well, back to Scirocco. I get distracted so easily. The name Scirocco has an interesting meaning. It is a term used to describe a wind that blows from the Sahara Desert over north Africa, southern Europe and the Mediterranean. It's a particularly strong wind that often causes extreme sandstorms. The Volkswagen Scirocco indeed flies like the wind, unless you have the diesel version. Then it's a canal boat puttering it's way down the river. But it's not a diesel. Because I wouldn't buy a diesel. Because I like to fly like the wind.

No comments: