Thursday, April 5, 2012

When Streets are Made of Water

Welcome back to my blog! I hope I didn't lose too many of you in my absence. I have been all over the place lately with lots of spotty internet. While I have a strong hold on the signal, here is a little bit of my last two weeks.

Welcome to the city built on water. Venice.


I'll just mention right up front that Italy is my new favorite country. I know. It keeps changing. Right now it is Italy. The amazing thing about Venice is that within the main city, there are no cars. You either walk or take a boat. Awesome. It was so warm and beautiful outside. Conditions could not have been any better.

The architecture was fantastic! I loved that the buildings literally touched the water and that there was a ton of Renaissance history there. Vienna does not have much Renaissance stuff but Italy filled that gap very nicely. The cathedrals and churches were enormous and beautiful. I was blown away by the size of some of these structures.



Now, we can't talk about Venice without mentioning the gondoliers. They wear the classic striped outfits and sing Italian, making any moment instantly romantic. I did not get the chance to ride one but that's because I am cheap (they are fairly expensive unless you round up at least 6 people) and I had not a romantic partner to get the full effect of the experience. Maybe next time. I did get a great shot of one of them.


I have this new affinity for bridges. This all started with Budapest. There are hundreds of little bridges all over Venice. I wanted to find them all. The best part was that they all had their own unique character and architecture. Some were old. Others new. Some long. Some short. And they were all fun to walk across.


I also got this picture of a real Italian! He looks a lot like me and may even be me. Maybe I was meant to be Italian. I'm pretty sure I was. I sure felt like I was.


I knew our week excursion in Italy was going to be amazing. I just didn't know how amazing. Then this scene told me how amazing it would be.


Just in case that wasn't enough to convince me, Venice gave me this. And I loved it.

1 comment:

kwistin said...

aaaAAaaAAaaaaAAAHHHghhhhh!!! i was kind of bouncing up and down on my chair, reading about your italy adventures.

of course italy's your favorite, zach. IT'S THE BEST. ...okay, i can't really make that claim, since i haven't been there. yet. but i knew there was a reason i've been so oddly fascinated with it for years.

aaand yeah. you should have been italian.